Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day Two in Granada

Day two in Granada
- My roomie Shannon and I woke up around 7:30 am so that we could get ready, have breakfast, and head out to take out placement test
- The breakfast buffet was incredible! There was so much food of very good quality. I also had peach juice, which was delicious!
- The exam took about 3 hours and had a listening, writing, reading, and speaking portion

- We sat around and waited for the results. I got a 5, which puts me in the intermediate level, which means that I will be taking all of my classes in Spanish, which I am very nervous for because I am not very good at listening…
-after the test we headed back to the Arcadia office where we met up to begin a scavenger hunt around the city! We had two teams of three people and we got a map and had to walk around the city and take pictures of certain places on the map. It was a really great way to get to know the beautiful city, although it was also very hot and tiring
- We got back to the office and my team did not win the hunt because we missed a couple of the places, but that’s okay
-We walked a couple blocks to a restaurant where I ate a falafel  sandwich, or bocadillo de falafel, and we were again serenaded by street guitar players

-As we sat around at lunch I realized we could see the top of the Alhambra right from where we were sitting! I had no idea it was so close!
-After lunch we received more orientation information about classes and stuff. The classes I will be taking are as follows: Two different grammar classes, History of Spain, History of Spanish Art, and ecosystems of Andalucía, which is a class based primarily on field trips, which is awesome!!!
-After orientation a woman named Cassie came to the room and asked us if we would participate in her research study about how American students best learn languages. We filled out a brief survey and then she also asked if she could come hang out with us because 1. She has never been to Granada and 2. So she can observe us. She is very young and cool so we didn’t mind
- We then met some of the people in our program who have already been in Granada for the past month for pre-session. They all seem very nice. Their names are Slate, John, and Graham
- We couldn’t hang out for too long because they were going to a soccer game, so we just got some beer and tapas at a restaurant
- After, we headed back to the hotel to get a few things done before we headed back out
- We left the hotel again around 9 o ‘clock and went down a street we had not yet tried going to and discovered a few great plazas with a really amazing nightlife. We stood and watched some street performers and finally found a restaurant where we ordered beer and tapas again. I got water though because I was feeling very cheap 


- after dinner we walked back to the hotel and on our way passed this HUGE cathedral. It is seriously ginormous and I don’t know how we had not seen it before
- we got back to the hotel and I Skyped Ryne and my dad for a little bit
-Showered then went to sleep

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment